Taupo Pa, Cook Strait


This view of Taupo Pa was sketched by George French Angas in 1844. He writes: "This view is taken from the hill immediately above Rangihaeata's Pa, a stronghold which the chief has erected since the massacre of Wairau, to which he may retreat in case of attack. The Maori village occupying the shores of the bay is called Taupo Pa, and belongs to Rauparaha, being inhabited by a portion of the Ngatitoa tribe. The situation of the pa is about a mile from Porirua."

No comments:

Post a Comment